Tshwane University Of Technology International Students, Welcome to the International Students Office. For the duration of your study as an international student, we will assist you. We hope that you will find your academic experience at TUT fulfilling and your interaction with other students enriching. There are over 2 000 international students across our eight campuses – from undergraduate students, postgraduate students and exchange students, to postdoctoral fellows.
All international students are required to submit the following documents before they can register at TUT:
- Your valid passport
- TUT valid study permit and South African medical Aid that is paid for twelve months in advance,
- A valid Asylum Seeker Permit, Refugee Permit and Permanent Residence Permit (No medical aid cover is required from holders of these identity documents).
- Work or relatives permit must be endorsed to study at Tshwane University of Technology. (Link to TUT Information letter)
NB: Please be informed that with effect from the 1st of May 2015, a holder of a valid temporary residence visa issued for the categories mentioned above will be allowed to register and undertake part-time studies with institutions of Higher Learning as defined by the Immigration Regulations of the Immigration Act, 2002 (Act No. 13 of 2002) during the validity period of their respective visas.
- General work visa
- Critical skills work visa
- Intra-company transfer work visa
- Business visa
The holders of Relatives Visas are still required to get their visas endorsed for part-time or full time studies.
How to Apply
STUDENT EXCHANGE APPLICATION PROCEDURE
(APPLICATION FEE WILL BE PAID BY US)
(TUITION FEE WILL BE COVERED BY THE AGREEMNT, TUT INTERNATIONAL OFFICE AND THE RECEIVING DEPARTMENT)
- Please go to www.tut.ac.za and download the electronic application form.
- Complete all the required sections in full.
- Attach the relevant document and send back to us E-MAIL to the addresses mentioned below
- Ignore the section where a school principal needs to sign.
- On receipt of the application form, it will be processed and forwarded to the relevant academic department for approval and authorisation.
- After the approval by the academic department, the International Office will issue the student with an official Acceptance Letter and a Study Permit Letter.
- Use the two letters to apply for a study permit at the nearest South African high commissioner or representative in your home country.
- Apply for the study permit at least two months before departure.
- All international exchange students who are nationals of visa exempt countries, like the United States, the United Kingdom, The Netherlands and Germany, etc., who plan to stay at the Tshwane University of Technology for three months or less, must obtain an endorsed visitors’ visa (Temporary Residence Permit) or a normal study permit.
- A normal tourist visa is not sufficient to be registered and gain access to all university facilities.
- The student’s final registration as an exchange student depends on the production of a valid visa obtained from the Immigration Official at the port of entry upon presentation of your Acceptance Letter
- You are advised to carry a copy of the Acceptance Letter and the Study Permit Letter when travelling to South Africa.
- Your return ticket serves as your repatriation guarantee.
- Do not proceed to the Tshwane University of Technology without the Study Permit or the endorsed visa.
- The relevant academic department will finalise your travel arrangements to the University with you.
- Notify the International Office of your arrival once you are on campus.
- The International Office and the relevant academic department will be responsible for the tuition fees of an exchange student.
- Please communicate with the Exchange Coordinator or the Head of Department at your home university and at the Tshwane University of Technology to enable us to serve you better.
- Exchange students do not pay the International Student Levy
Students are liable for the arrangements and payments of their travel, accommodation, books and meals.
Do not hesitate to contact the international office for further information or assistance with anything to made your stay here memorable.
CERTIFIED COPIES TO BE ATTACHED
- Passport, identification pages
- Transcript, or latest academic result
- Proof or registration at home university
- Proof of medical insurance
- Letter of recommendation